Everyone wants to get better at something, in our case as a gym, it’s usually getting fitter, healthier or stronger. The cool thing about my advice below though, is it can apply to just about anything.
Tip #1 – Do a little bit each day.
This is an old tip my english teacher gave me when it came to reading back in high school. I didn’t like reading all the shakespearean plays because it seemed like a long and arduous task.
She said simply, just read a chapter a day and you’ll finish within a month. Magic!
The same can be applied to your training. 10kgs might seem like it’s “too hard” or being able to run the ‘Sutho to Surf’ might seem like a far fetched task but if you get just a little bit done every day, you’ll achieve that goal and probably better than you thought!
Here’s a 1 week example for a beginner wanting to do the ‘Sutho to Surf’:
- Day 1 – spend 20 mins doing this, run 1 min, walk 1 min. At the end go have a shower and relax.
- Day 2 – stretch your hamstrings for 2 mins per side
- Day 3 – 5 Laps of a football field. Rest 90 seconds between each one
- Day 4 – Spend 2 mins stretching your calves and quads (2 mins each)
- Day 5 – Spend 21 mins running 2 mins, walking 1 min.
- Day 6 – Go find an outdoor activity, surfing, golf, rock climbing (indoor), soccer with mates at the park etc.
- Day 7 – Relax. Be proud of your week and what you’ve accomplished!
This could also be a great way to work on those 10kg you have hanging round too.
Tip #2 – Take action immediately
This should almost be tip number 1.
There is never going to be the perfect time to start. There will always be another project due, another children’s event or a weekend that you want to party on.
Still do those things but if you really want to achieve your goal, you need to start today.
Draw a line in the sand and say enough is enough. I will finish reading The merchant of Venice and I will start right now… or whatever it is you’re trying to achieve.
Tip #3 – Educate yourself
Now some goals are education in themselves. However others will require you to learn some new skills and make some changes.
These will make you a better human and also make sure you achieve your goal safely.
Some of these skills you can pick up on youtube etc (probably most) but some you’re going to need to find someone to help you.
Read reviews, do a background check and THEN make an educated decision on who can best help you.
Good luck as you head into the new year and I hope you achieve your goals safely and efficiently!